Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Some fruit salsa a day keeps the gloom away...

Isn’t it fun how you can just really stick anything in that phrase and it sounds fun? “A sticky elephant a day keeps the squirrels away”.

It was a very dreary rainy day here on the front porch of Iowa. One of those days that would make you a bit tired and down and I had lots on my mind today. One of those days that makes me look heavenward and mutter “Can you toss me a frickin’ bone here?”.



But fruit salsa can make things better. There were some strawberries left over from a breakfast meeting today and some tortillas getting hard in the fridge. Game time.

So…

Some of these


plus some of this





gets you to this.



I waited patiently until after supper like a good girl, then put it all together and treated myself to this






Now it’s still raining outside, a row of my lace kicked my ass, and I still feel a little bitch slapped in a few areas of my life, but for now even the wine has a smile. Cheers!






Fruit Salsa with Baked Cinnamon Tortillas

1 Fuji apple-peeled, cored, and diced
1 c. sliced fresh strawberries
2 kiwis, peeled & diced
2 bananas, peeled & diced
1 T. fresh lime juice
2 T. white sugar
¼ t. ground cinnamon
¼ t. ground nutmeg


In a medium bowl, mix together fruits, lime juice, white sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cover and chill approximately.

Baked Cinnamon Tortillas
Tortillas
Butter
White Sugar
Ground Cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush tortillas with a thin layer of butter and lightly sprinkle desired amount of sugar & cinnamon. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until tortilla begins to bubble and get crisp around edges. Using kitchen shears cut into triangles. I recommend cutting them straight from the oven while they are warm and still a bit soft. These are best served warm, so I just bake up a couple at a time to eat for myself when I want some salsa.




No comments:

Post a Comment