Thursday, September 2, 2010

Lil Man Turn a Square

I have some serious guilt issues around the fact I am missing seeing my nephew grow up. He is 18 months old. Doesn't recognize his Auntie April. I deal with the guilt in a small measure by making sure he has a handknit to keep him warm.

A few weeks ago I went looking for a cute little toddler boy hat, but was fairly unimpressed with the results. So I did some tweaks to Brooklyn Tweed's Turn a Square [Rav Link here].


Yarn: Paton Classic Wool Merino-Gray
         Boku, Plymouth Yarn-Rainbow


Lil Man Adaptation:

CO 80 sts with US5.
Knit 7 rounds in 2x2 rib.
Switch to US6.
Increase round: *K7, m1* 8 times, k23.
Alternating two rounds of solid and then two rounds of self-striping, knit to 5.25 inches.
*K22sts, pm* (Four times to create four points of square top.)
Decrease round: Knit to two sts before maker, ssk, move marker, k2tog (continue to end of row)
Knit round
Continue decreasing until 8 sts remain on needles.
Break yarn leaving a 7" tail, weave tail through live sts and tighten. Weave loose ends in.


(It's a little big to ensure it fits through the winter.)

Ravelry Project Page

No comments:

Post a Comment