Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Coming Home Bebe Set

There are few things that are constants in my life. These include:
 * I will always have a typo in emails to people that like to catch me making mistakes.
 * Walking into a yarn shop or fabric store will result in a purchase.
 * My cat will stand on me and meow at 2am when I have an important meeting in the morning.
 * As a female in my late 20's my friends are reproducing like rabbits and there will always be a baby gift to be made.

(That was actually an incredibly hard list for me to think of. I apparently have few constants.)

This fall there are a couple of friends popping out offspring. I have already discussed the quilt finished for one. Now for the adorable hat and bootee set I just finished for the other.



While making my Christmas list and checking it twice last week I also realized that I had baby gifts to make. (As well as a hat for a baby turning one in December!) I sent my friend a text to ask her to remind me if they are having a girl or a boy. She sent me back a "Haha. We aren't finding out. :P" reply. She has heard me rant and rave about what a pain in the ass it is to craft in gender neutral. Yes, it is all about me. Thanks for asking.

I'm pretty happy with how this set turned out.



The hat is made using the Bring Me Home Hat pattern from French Press Knits. It was hard to figure out a hat pattern to go with since I had to make sure to find a happy medium between girl and boy. I liked the simplicity of this pattern. And I just happened to have a skein of Blue Sky Organic Cotton in my stash. I'lll be honest. It took some serious soul searching for me to bring myself to use this skein. I had to fight aganist the hoarder in me because this yarn is L.U.S.C.I.O.U.S. It was a phenomenal experience knitting with it. It is so soft and buttery. Sorry, sidetrack. I know blue is traditionally baby boy color, but this is a new time, people.

Coming Home Hat Ravelry Project Page


The Saartje's Bootee's pattern by Saartje Knits has become a bit of a baby standby for me. I mean, c'mon. They are amazingly cute, a great use of sock yarn leftovers, and even on US 1's a surprisingly fast knit. And they always get rave reviews! The Paton's Kroy Socks Stripes I used for these wasn't even my leftover, but some yarn a friend threw my way that she didn't have a use for.

And I love the buttons with these!


Coming Home Bootees Ravelry Project Page

So, a couple more gift knits are done and ready to go to a new home! Now only twelve more projects to go...

2 comments:

  1. So glad you posted this in the FPK group- your constants crack me up. I, too will always have typos in emails to people who 'want' me to have typos (not to mention that I will almost always purchase something in a craft/yarn shop!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting, Melynda! If only one of those consants included something like binging on ice cream and cookies and dropping 5 lbs or when I clean my purse I always find gift certificates to the yarn shop!

    ReplyDelete