Monday, October 4, 2010

Fettuccine Alfredo-Low Fat Double Take

So, I figured I really should include low fat somewhere in that title so you didn't think I finally gave in to the urge for the aformentioned willlingly belly flop with a super ungraceful dive off the diet wagon. This is really hard to believe it's low-fat. I mean look at this picture, the cheesiness factor alone seems like you should gain a few pounds just from licking the spoon.


And it has bacon. I know. I promise this isn't a bridesmaid dress ploy. You know, where I make you all look bad in your nasty bridesmaid dress so I can shine in comparison to you.

This gave me the diet pick me up I needed to feel like I was indulging, but not.

Rich Fettuccine Alfredo
Yield: 6 servings.

Ingredients

8 ounces uncooked whole wheat fettuccine (I used the regular fettuccine noodles)
2 bacon strips, coarsely chopped
1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
1 small onion, chopped
1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 ounces fat-free cream cheese, cubed
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 cups whole milk
3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
1/3 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Directions

Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large ovenproof skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. Saute the mushrooms, onion and pepper in drippings until tender. Add the garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in cream cheese until melted.

Combine cornstarch and milk until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the chicken, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and salt; cook and stir until cheese is melted.

Drain fettuccine; add to chicken mixture. Heat through. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and reserved bacon. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Nutrition Facts: 1-1/3 cups equals one serving
417 calories
12 g fat (5 g saturated fat)
38 g carbohydrate



No comments:

Post a Comment