Friday, September 24, 2010

Spicy Shrimp & Peppers with Pasta

So, I finally put some action behind my rants and went on a low-fat diet. Not only a low-fat diet, but a low fat diet with Alli. If you have heard of the "adverse treatment effects" you know this means I have to mean business. If you don't know what I'm talking about, well, there are some things you just don't want to know about. I have lost six pounds in the last three weeks. Which I consider pretty good considering the first week I chose sitting with my knitting drinking wine on the couch and feeling sorry for myself a more worthy activity then exercising and this week I have been traveling pretty much all through.

The thing that always seems to make me willlingly belly flop with a super ungraceful dive off the diet wagon is that I get really bored of the food. And I have an unhealthy relationship with butter. But especially the whole food thing. So I've decided to post some recipes that are worthy when I find them. For Alli they have to be 15g of fat or below and with the calorie limit I chose for myself they need to be under 500 calories.

The first: Spicy Shrimp & Pepper with Pasta.


I really miss the dimension of flavors in "regular" food. This dish helped me snap out of that. It was pretty amazing if I say so myself, so I present to you the first of my low-fat recipe shares.

Spicy Shrimp & Peppers with Pasta

Adapted from Taste of Home-Healthy Cooking

Ingredients

1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 medium sweet yellow or red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 medium green pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 ounces uncooked linguine
1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (I used cooked shrimp)
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes

Directions

In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute the mushrooms, and peppers in oil until tender. Add garlic and pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer.

Stir in the tomatoes, Italian seasoning and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Meanwhile, cook linguine according to package directions. Add shrimp to sauce; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.

Drain linguine; stir into sauce. Heat through. Sprinkle with parsley.

Yield: 4 servings. (2 cups each)
Nutrition Facts
Calories: 385 calories
Fat: 10 g (1 g saturated fat)
Carbs: 53 g

2 comments:

  1. We have at least two or maybe even three things in common!
    1.) First and most importantly --- cooking/food!
    2.) Knitting (in all its forms, especially the baby things for friends).
    and
    3.) Quilting, or at least from my perspective, an appreciation for quilts and quilting.

    Do not let anyone try and tell you that once you retire -- I am a semi-retired, young-ish person --- that you will have plenty of time for your hobbies. There is NEVER enough time for knitting and quilting (and hook rugs too if you would like :).

    Thank you for sharing all your wonderful talents and thoughts on life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Kindred spirits are always great to find! Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete