Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Scrappy Square Quilt

I am rocking and rolling on finishing projects. I KNOW. But this shall be my last post for the week. Tomorrow morning I pack and head to the mystical world of Springfield for a few days for a state meeting. Okay, little will be mystical about this.

So, I just realized I have had pics of a finished bebe quilt on my camera for two weeks. And I finished it about three weeks ago. Tsk tsk.


This is the furtherest I have ventured into scrappydom. I know it's not exactly busting with scrappy craziness, but I've always been that person who picks one big yard or two of a fabric and then all other big cuts of fabric must in some way tie in to colors in that original fabric. So in my world this is like my quilting equivalent to going to Mardi Gras and waving around stuff that should be covered in a brazen attempt for beads. Life.On.The.Edge.



Ahem. Topless references aside. This quilt is for the soon to be emerging into the world baby boy of some dear friends of mine. These are the friends who took me in when my world fell apart. They sat with me when I cried. Gave me some verbal reality check smacks when I needed them. Prayed with me. The least I can do is go wild and crazy to give them a little scrappy quilt.



In retrospect, a few things I would change about this quilt are:
  • That much white probably wasn't a great choice for a baby quilt. I try to make my baby quilts big enough they can be toddler blankies as well. This one may get a bit grungy.
  • In an actual lack of planning this looks a bit too planned out. I was tired when I was piecing all of the squares and seemed to sew them in this overly organized order and wish it looked a bit more random. Oh, well. It is what it is.
You have a fabulous rest of the week and it feels a bit preemptive, but have a fabulous weekend as well. And I promise the over exposed bids for beads was only a metaphor. I'll keep my shirt on.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful quilt! Yep, white might not be the best choice for a baby quilt, but with a little off-white .... uhhhh ... baby urp, it should antique well in the wash.

    I like it a lot; though I think I have a similar personality in that I would also do the colors in a less than random way.

    Hope your friends really enjoy the quilt and do not save it "for good". (I have a friend that I made a large lap quilt for their wedding and they will not use it as they do not want to ruin it (!!!)

    Quilts are made with love for lots of loving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you hate that when they won't use them? My little brother won't let my nephew use the baby quilt I made him and it drives me nuts! It's for snuggling & loving!

    ReplyDelete