Thursday, September 23, 2010

Quilt for a Bumpy Road

So, awhile back I posted about finishing a "transition" quilt. The one I made some pillows to "compliment". I promised pics when I could get to a more photogenic place than the ole townhouse complex. I wasn't lying and I FINALLY got the pics done this morning while staying with the family during some work travel. I know, you've been on the edge of your seat!


This quilt taught me a very valuable lesson. Do not layout a quilt with a hangover. And DO NOT cut the fabric with said hangover! Measure twice, sober up a zillion? But, c'mon. Who among us haven't woken up on a Sunday morning with a throbbing hangover and a quilt idea bouncing around in our heads we just can't wait to start?


I had originally started off using the zigzag tutorial from crazy mom quilts. As I had cut fabric strips and was hitting a wall I THOUGHT I had come to a clear mind enough to realize that this tutorial works only with a primary color and then some other colors. However, as I'm writing this post and went back to the quilt pic I faved on flickr with the tutorial link, I realize she pulled it off. So hangover or no hangover, this quilter has one on me. Maybe someday I shall try this again. But probably not.



In the end I ended up using the trick the ex's grandma taught me of sewing two squares right sides together, drawing a line diagonal, sewing 1/4" on each side, cutting said line, and ironing and trimming rather than messing with a bunch of half square triangles.


When all was said and done I love the quilt, but wish I wouldn't have put the orange and green next to each other. My quilty friend (shoutout to Erin if she's reading!) let me borrow her quiliting foot presser guide bar to make sure my lines were straight in the middle of the zigzags. After one line of quilting I was in awe I have lived this long without one and trotted over to ebay to get my own.

And the raddest part? I made this quilt ENTIRELY from materials I had on hand. Some of those bad boys have been in the stash a minimum of four years. Rock.On.

No comments:

Post a Comment