Monday, December 13, 2010

Cynthia's Garden Quilt

Cynthia is my grandma. And she asked for a quilt with roses. While fabric with roses is not really my thing, she is my grandma and I love her, so I made a quilt with roses.

See?



It is a windchill of -14F outside. While our "Blizzard Warning" over the weekend was a bit of an exaggeration as well, I'm still not feeling venturing outside to take pictures, so the view from the ironing board of my sewing room is about as good as this is going to get.

I have no idea what it was about this quilt, but it was determined to push me to the edge and methodically nudge me over. Why? It's only a large block and four-squares, right? How difficult could this be? You've did harder than this, right? This isn't your first time around a quilt block! I know!


Well, somehow I miscalculated the size I should be cutting the blocks. Promise I wasn't quilting hungover again. I did all of the math. Took the seam allowances into consideration.  Even measured twice and cut once. It all added up. Until it didn't.  I didn't figure out this was the issue until after I had ALL of the fabric cut. I know. Really, I wasn't hungover. Or drunk. Apparently just stupid and overconfident. So that was fun. And then as I was cutting the backing I cut INTO the backing. And after I had it all basted I pulled on a loose string. Not a loose string. Pulled a seam out. After it was all basted. Like that sloppy attempt at hand stitching it up? Oh, and I was somehow unconsciously hell-bent on sewing the backing in clumps to each other on the edges. That was fun. All four times.

But step by step we worked through it. Piecing, basting, quilting, and binding.


And in the end it all turned out and the mistakes are barely noticeable. Barely. Really just that ripped out seam. That is one of the things I love about quilting. It can look so damn messy while you're doing it, but in the end when it's all done it just comes together.


Why, what's that one square with the square quilted in the middle unlike all the others? I'm so proud of you for noticing it. I know you did. 


Well, that's a love patch. In no way related to a soul patch. A love patch.


Just a little bit of love to remind my grandma I love her always and forever. You see, the day grandma asked me to make this quilt was the day of my grandpa's funeral. My grandpa died in September of last year from cancer. This is going to sound a bit morbid and I don't mean it to. But, as my grandpa was laying there in the last weeks of his life in that hospital bed all he had on him was this impersonal hospital blankets. And I just kept wishing he could be covered in more love than that. I'm getting all teary just typing this. So when my grandma asked me for a quilt I told her of course. Don't worry, Grandpa. I've got Grandma covered. Literally.



No comments:

Post a Comment