Friday, December 17, 2010

Cambridge Watchcap

So my Dad's (very first every knit from me!) hat has been done for over a week now. However, I haven't said anything about it because I wanted to show you how to make the super easy probably insulting your intelligence by giving you directions "wind blocker" (read: man neckwarmer from fleece). Doing the math of the projected finishing of all of my projects, I will be having a project a day done between now and Christmas, so I think I'll save that "tutorial" for after Christmas.

For now, my Daddy-o's first ever knit from me! I've never been sure if he'd wear a handknit or not, but my Mom reassured me if I made him a nice hat he'd wear it to work outside. So, I made him a very warm hat.


Project: Cambridge Watchcap by ever green knits Ravelry Link
Yarn: Patons Shetland Chunky Tweeds (One Skein)
Colorway: Charcoal
Needle Size: US10
Project Page

I did make some adjustments. To make this an extra warm Daddy hat I knit this in a bulky weight yarn. The pattern calls for worsted. To do this I cast on 87 stitches and went up to a size 10 needle. I followed the rest of the pattern, but it got a little more iffy when I got to the decreases. I wish I could get into details on what I did there, but I was tired and just made it up half-assed as I went. I was hoping the bulky would make the 10 freaking inches until decreasing go faster. It didn't. What can I say, I'm a beanie kind of girl. The extra knitting for a brim always feels like torture for me.


2 comments:

  1. I just discovered your blog, via Ravelry and Yarn Stormers. :) I love the hat! I am sure your Dad will too, especially if he lives in the Quad City area too! I actually graduated from North Scott HS way back in '81. I love the tone of your writing. I'll be back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! Thanks, Anna! As an obscure blogger I usually write just to entertain myself. It always makes me feel better to know someone is reading! QCAers past and present unite!! ;)

    ReplyDelete