Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Copy Hat

This is the story of a cheap girl who saw a hat pattern and being an overly confident knitter said she wasn't going to spend the money on a ribbed hat pattern and tried to deconstruct the hat. And failed. Really, just buy the pattern.


Project Name: The Copy Hat
Yarn: Malabrigo Worsted, Black
Needles: US7 & US9



I cast on 92 for this hat. Which was pretty much a shot in the dark, but seems about right! Working the 2x2 ribbing to six inches on the smaller needles (US7) and then switching to larger (US9) to work in stockinette stitch to ten inches.



At ten inches I began decreases by k2tog one round, knit one round, and repeating until I got to the number of stitches that seemed like a good idea to thread the yarn through. A number of stitches I’m not remembering.


Things I did wrong. Hmm, where to start?

* I did the ribbing too far I think. It seems 5 inches would have been adequate.
* I should have maybe increased a few stitches when I switched needle size and went to stockinette. It doesn't have that droopy.
* I think I should have knit at least another half an inch before starting to decrease.
* I also should have did one more decrease round. It has this funny outie belly button thing going on.
*And I should have bought.the.damn.pattern!

And what the hell is going on in this pic?


Something about this hat made me feel like a baller. So that was me doing my best baller wink. Instead I look like a bloated constipated pirate. Argh!

No comments:

Post a Comment