Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Social Climber

Urban Dictionary defines a "social climber" as follows:

social climber (n.) Similar to an "attention whore", but a social climber is anyone that becomes friends with someone else if they have something that they want, which we all know involves people. They become 'friends' with people who "know people". In turn, they become (or attempt to become) 'friends' with that first person's more "popular" friends, leaving the first person behind. Repeats this cycle to "get to the top", in their own mind, until they realize they are shallow and unable to like people for who they really are. Inevitably, they will be forced to "mature" beyond this. This usually pertains to girls more so than guys.

Mad Liza Knits defines it as this rocking cowl.



My neck has been having some hand knit withdrawal with the sweltering heat and withering humidity of an Iowa summer bearing down in full force. I dug out my skein of Plymouth Kudo to make a summer friendly cowl. This fun, bright, striped yarn is 55% cotton, 40% rayon, and 5% silk.  


I started on this project a little over a week ago. I needed a break from my self-induced sock yarn hell of unfinished shawls and the sweater I must have been on some kind of binge on when I started a project to "take a break". (Seriously, what the hell? I don't even knit sweaters in recognition of my need for instant gratification!!) The pattern calls for Noro Silk Garden, but I'm glad I went with this yarn. I used the colorway 47 and I really like the colors and the striping. I'm not usually a cotton fan, but I really like this for this time of year.


The pattern has you doing 18 two row repeats for the large size. I went way above and beyond with 31 repeats. This was really drapey, I probably could have used a US9 rather then US10's. It was nice to use the whole skein, though, and I'm pleased with the results. And the fact I finished a project!



Back to the sock yarn trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment