Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Olympic Reindeer Hat

Do you know what has...

...tassles...


....an American flag...


...a double rolled brim that requires thirteen additional rows of knitting solid blue and additional seaming...


...and reindeers?



A finished Olympic Reindeer Hat!




Pattern: Olympic Reindeer Hat by Clever Knits /Rav Link
Based on the official hat of the 2010 USA Olympic team (she did a pretty amazing job re-engineering)
Yarn: Cascade Yarns 220 Wool
Colorways: Christmas Red 8895, Ecru 8010, Navy 8393
Needles: US 5 & 6
Ravelry Project Page

Is this hat for me? NO. I'm a beanie kind of girl and my fair isle takes the form of things like little owls or cupcakes.  But this isn't for me. As I previously divulged 
"When we were out for my birthday last week [March] I had asked a friend of mine what he was planning to get his wife whose birthday was a few days away (she was obviously unable to make it to supper). He told us how watching the opening ceremonies of the Olympics she had fallen in love with the US team hats. It was a tale of woe. Seems he went online looking for this and it had been $75 (too much for me already), but they had sold out pretty much instantaneously and then they were $300-$400 on eBay (which they must have sold out there as well, because I couldn't find them in a search). Now, I am a bit of a pushover when it comes to a husband wanting to make his wife happy, so I told him "Hmm, too bad you don't know a knitter". I promised to go looking to see if I could find a pattern for this hat. I am a bad American. For multiple reasons, one of them being I do not watch the Olympics. Not a second of it. Luckily, Ravelry to the rescue. I did a search and I found it! I was pretty psyched. Granted, her birthday is past, but we are aiming for Christmas. I also have little fear she reads this blog!"

I thought I would work on this during the slow summer months. But then didn't start it until August and it's been competing for stress with Christmas crafting. I am not sad to see this go.

Also, as a beanie girl the tallness of it freaked me out, 10.5"x 11". But looking at pics of the project others have finished this looks normal...

Goodbye happy little patriotic reindeer. May you make your new owner very happy and warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment