Monday, June 7, 2010

Weekend in Review

All in all I had a pretty domestic weekend. How was yours?


Saturday I am proud to say that I finally finished an apron for ME!! Yes, ME!! This was the fourth I have made in the last couple of months. The one I was wearing was pretty sad. It was to that point where no matter how many times I washed it was still crusty from the flour and what not. It led a good life. It has retired to a nice resort in Florida with a view.

I’ve really been digging the yellow and gray combo for awhile. I bought this flowered fabric a couple of years ago, but it seemed a little old lady for everything. But not this apron. The pattern for this is from McCall’s M3979 American Hostess Vintage Aprons. I had to do some changes once it was all said and done. The top and was WAY too high and stuck out in a funky way. And to be honest I’m not crazy about the pocket bulging like that. It looks like it’s just begging to catch flour and other little bits for a disgusting result.



But it’s kind of growing on me. It got a test run yesterday with this Asiago-Laced Rosemary Bread. I did some double duty for the bake-along. Last week’s theme was bread. I have had this recipe that I tore out of some random magazine at work kicking around for awhile and I happened to have some asiago cheese I didn’t mind getting out of the freezer. In all honesty, I haven’t tried it yet. I was (finally) getting my butt in gear yesterday and putting away the laundry that still had laundry from LAST summer to sort through. (I am not kidding. Nothing like putting away 10 months of laundry to make me swear off shopping for some time!) My apartment was toasty while I was baking this bread and the smell of asiago kind of overpowered the place, so I wasn’t wanting any warm bread with those two factors at play. My husband did have a piece this morning, however, and gave it his stamp of approval. And he doesn’t use that stamp very liberally! I intend to bust into this bad boy tonight!



I also got a head start on this week’s bake-along. We are making homemade pizza dough, which I have not done before. I don’t think I’ll willingly go back to frozen pizza or even store-bought crust! My little Italian friend gave me her recipe. It was great. I also made some pizza sauce from scratch. Recipe below. It does have a bit of kick, though! And I actually got two pizzas worth out of the recipe!



Happy Monday!

Exquisite Pizza Sauce from Allrecipes.com

Ingredients

• 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
• 6 fluid ounces warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
• 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
• 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
• 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
• 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1/8 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
• salt to taste

Directions

1. In a small bowl, combine tomato paste, water, Parmesan cheese, garlic, honey, anchovy paste, onion powder, oregano, marjoram, basil, ground black pepper, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes and salt; mix together, breaking up any clumps of cheese.

2. Sauce should sit for 30 minutes to blend flavors; spread over pizza dough and prepare pizza as desired.

2 comments:

  1. The bread looks really good. All of that yummy cheese...
    I'm looking forward to my pizza!
    That's great that you sew too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no lack of crafting around here. Hope the pizza is/was FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete