Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter and Food, Lots of Food

I deduced at a table surrounded by food today that I do not gorge myself with food on Thanksgiving. It is really and truly Easter. See, I'm a German chick from an area called the Amana Colonies in East Central Iowa. We believe in a food concept called family style. For those unfamiliar this means that huge bowls of lots of food are brought to the table and they are passed. And then when they are empty they are refilled and passed AGAIN. This keeps going until you can no longer move. I grew up with eating and working in these restaurants (and smelling of saurkraut) and for Easter this is how we celebrate (along with going to my home church at 6:00am Sunday morning, which my brothers get up for because you only get breakfast if you go to church.). It is delicious, really. Words like "diet", "low cholesterol", and um, portion size are not in the vocab. Best of all is breakfast Easter morning. Swedish style pancakes (but we don't talk about the fact these are not really German. For us they equal the Amanas) with CORN COB SYRUP. What you, say. Did she have a sugar high and mistype?  Nope. This is amazing. I promise.

Speaking of promises, I mentioned some lemon crumb muffins. I made them. Also amazing.

The recipe for the Lemon Crumb Pancakes Muffins is from Taste of Home. Light, delicious, and did I mention amazing? I made up the batter before heading the shelter on Friday night and pulled it out when I got up Saturday to mix up a batch before heading to the parents. Topped with stresuel and lemon sugar glaze, did I mention amazing?


I could actually just lick the muffin paper clean right at this point.
But self control means I get to have some with glaze and they really are
better this way. So go with self-control.

Sewing has taken a bit, umm, longer than planned. More on that soon.


"Family style" after the family style.
Now back to appropriate portions till next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment