Thursday, March 25, 2010

Whatcha' Quiltin'?

It took me a couple of months to get over the PTSD of Christmas sewing this year. A little harder to bounce back than previous years, but I have taken a bit of a hiatus from sewing over the last year or so. There is a long list of excuses. The room is too dark, too hot, too cold. I'm tired, but I'm rocking this knitting. I'm tired. However, about a month ago I had an overnight shift at the shelter I volunteer at, so I came equipped with a thermos of strong coffee, my quilt layout notebook, some crayons, and my trusty desk lamp. I got some strange looks from the guys getting up throughout the night when they saw fabric and crayons spread out everywhere while I frantically drew, but in the end, the quilt I've had bouncing around in my mind finally came to life.

I present to you, Modern Contradiction. It's named so because I have long been trenched in the habit of having to have all of my fabrics match. I've been trying to break out a little creatively, so I lived a little and mixed it up for more of a folksy look in this quilt. The contradication/secret is all of these fabrics were pulled (from the stash, I was a good girl) to match the striped print making up the mitered squares. Shh, don't tell.

The design




The fabrics


After a Saturday in the sewing room, I've even got a great start going here!



And if you haven't seen enough fabric for one post. Guess who went on a fabric binge in the hopes of supplementing the spring/summer wardrobe...





No comments:

Post a Comment