Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Hello, Love

After over two years of diligently searching I've finally found the perfect...




I mean, check out the batter alone.


What's not to love. Now I realize that blueberry muffins are totally a matter of preference. Like that whole wheat recipe I tried. Blah! I think I only put the leftover batter in the freezer due to the price of blueberries.

But this recipe. It could totally be my life partner and I would gladly have it's babies and bring it coffee or beer or slippers or whatever blueberry muffin husbands desire. I mean, to quote King Arthur Flour "They're a good example of "cake-like" muffins, containing high amounts of both sugar and fat." How could you not fall in love after a sentence like that? If they were on match.com, that would totally be my ideal tagline. (Yes, at 13g of fat ONE muffin pretty much fills up my limit of fat grams in a meal under the Alli plan.) It feels so gratifying to find my blueberry muffin true love. I love the fluffy rich muffins our local grocery strore chain makes. I tolerated many eyerolls from the ex when I would bemoan how my muffins did not taste like theirs and get the inevitable "Than go BUY them from there!". He did not get me.



Well, there were a couple of modifications I'll do next time. I guess my love isn't totally blind. I would use a more stuesely top and I believe I will add an additional 1/4 c of sugar. I like my love sweet.

Will I share my path to true love? Of course.

The Perfect Blueberry Muffins (aka "Fancy Department Store Muffins")
Slightly adapted from King Arthur Flour 

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups fresh blueberries
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter or margarine
1 cup sugar (or add 1/4c if you want to be like me)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk

STREUSEL:
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup cold butter

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Combine flour, baking powder, salt, berries and nuts. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter or margarine with sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, and beat well.

Blend dry ingredients into wet alternately with milk.

Because these muffins will rise up and over the edge of your muffin tin, you'll want to grease the top of the pan as well as the cups. Fill the cups almost full, and sprinkle with the streusel topping.

Bake muffins 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove muffins from oven and cool completely on a wire rack. (Although I can tell you that if you can wait long enough for the blueberries to cool enough to not scorch your mouth, they rock after about 10 minutes out.)

Nutrional information per serving (1 muffin, 106 g): 307 cal, 13 g fat,  21 g complex carbohydrates

King Arthur Flour suggests the following:

These muffins are wonderful made with tiny fresh blueberries, chopped, toasted almonds, and almond extract substituted for the vanilla extract.



I think that sounds like a fantastic idea, King Arthur Flour. Thank you.

I shared mine with the neighbors. Mainly due to that pesky high fat content. But feel free to lock your doors and hoard these lovelies. I won't judge you. Promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment