Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What a Biscuit!

So I started this entry with a story from my family about how the word biscuit was used in a little different of a context and will forever be changed for me (nothing icky, no worries), but it sounded very white trashy and you kind of had to be there, so I pushed delete and decided we will just move straight to the biscuits discussion. But I'll leave the entry title as a tribute to my slightly, umm, quirky family.

For the last few months I've been participating in a bake-a-long in the Let's Cook group on Ravelry. This week's theme is biscuits. It has been pretty constantly cold and rainy here in the Quad Cities for the last few days, so it was a great soup time. I have had this recipe for knock off Red Lobster (yep, I'm trying to push my husband to his limit!)  Cheddar Bay Biscuits floating around my kitchen and it was unearted during the great recipe reorganizing that took place this weekend.  So this recipe was the winner for this week's bake-a-long go!

I have to admit, I totally felt a bit of shame and like I was cheating with this recipe. It is basically Bisquick with water and sharp cheddar cheese. The action kind of takes place in the buttery goodness you slap on the top. I really need to look and see if I can find a "from scratch" alternative for Bisquick one of these days. It also needed more cheese in my opinion, so here it is in quick Bisquicky glory with my alternations! (Okay, so this was bugging me, so I searched and came back to add this link to make homemade Bisquick. However, since I haven't tried this and can't attest for it, I'm leaving the recipe with Bisquick and linking until I can test this further!)





Cheddar Bay Biscuits, adapted from keyingredient.

Ingredients:

2 C. Bisquick
1/2 c. cold water
1 c. grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 t. parsley flakes
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. Italian seasoning

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mix together Bisquick, cold water, and sharp cheddar cheese.


Roll out biscuits on a floured surface. Biscuits should be about 3/4 inch thick (original recipe calls for 1 in, but 3/4 in made some pretty heafty biscuits as it was!). Cut biscuits with a medium sized cutter and place onto an ungreased baking sheet.

Melt butter and seasonings together. Brush biscuits with the butter mix (do the side as well for good measure, you should have plenty of buttery goodness to go around. I didn't do this, but wish I would have!).  Bake for 8-10 minutes.


And they were pretty scrumptious with my minestrone!


Oh! And I learned something fun from some fellow Rav bakers this week! I was trying to figure out a way to be able to (somewhat easily) calculate nutritional information for my baked good and other homemade treats/meals. NutritionData was suggested. I am going to give it a try! (I'll try to post some of the nutrition data with the recipes I share when I get the hang of the website.) Nothing like using modern technology yet again to embrace an older way of doing things! Yeah for the interwebs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment