Sunday, May 9, 2010

Another One Bites the Dust

Here it is, that time of the weekend that the imminent arrival of the work week looms and it is truly unavoidable. How am I spending it? At the moment taking a break from some handstitching on an apron for my cousin's wedding shower and listening to Prince's Pussy Control. It makes me smile. Love me for who I am. :) I promise it's on a compilation CD. (REALLY!) However, I recommend you be very careful doing a search on it. It ain't pretty. And of course I wasn't thinking and did it from my work computer. Hmm. But I diverge.

So how was your weekend? Mine was pretty laid back. I needed this weekend. At 4:55pm on Friday I was stuck in construction traffic somewhere in a random Chicago suburb and getting emails from a board member who wasn't happy with me. (My husband wasn't sure why I was checking my email while stuck in city traffic, but it's not like I was moving!) While I love my job most of the time, I was in TGIF mode at that point!

The husband and I spent some quality time at his place on Friday. After I found my way out of Chicagoland that is. Pizza+Movies+Beer=Friday Night. He somehow convinced me to stay up until four in the freaking morning. So that led to sleeping until one in the afternoon Saturday, squandering away my precious Saturday time. But guess what I did when I got home?


They were pretty amazing. I made them with, wait for it, Nutella. I have been living under this rock where Nutella hasn't pushed through. I have internet access under this rock and I have heard the raves about Nutella, but NEVER HAD IT! I know. I hang my head in shame. However, do you people realize there are 200 calories per tablespoon of Nutella?? This brought my pop tarts to like 500 calories a pop. Seriously. But we're not going to talk about that.

I also made some with strawberry preserves. Which were also pretty freaking amazing. And the true shocker---despite his moral objections the husband tried a Nutella one and admitted (begrudgingly) to liking it. A little piece of hell froze over and my pop tarts caused it!



A little bit of this, a little bit of that. Opps, fugitive Nutella!
Ready to rock.
Mmm. Can't you feel yourself expanding just looking at these?


I did an egg wash on mine so that they would be nice and brown. I had multiple people tell me that a pop tart is not a pop tart if it doesn't have the crunchy glaze/frosting. I had every intention of putting some on. However, they were plenty sweet without it. And did I mention we were already at 500 calories? However, if I did put it on, I would melt some chocolate chips to put with the frosting for the Nutella ones.

What else did my uber-exciting weekend hold in store for me?

I attempted to organize the massive amount of printouts of recipes I want to try that threaten to overtake my kitchen. It wasn't pretty.

The phrase "looks like a tornado went through here" fit?

I got some work done on my cousin's wedding shower apron! I am a firm believer every new bride needs an apron. Call me old fashioned, but I call it simply style.

Progress. I gots it.
And I did some hand stitching. I know. Between that and the husband liking a homemade treat that you can buy chock full of preservatives in the store this may just be the end of it all. Live it up and be sure to tell your mom you love her!
Brr...anyone else feel that cold draft?

And...I made a mini pie. It actually just came out of the oven. But there will be a whole post on mini cheater deserts sometime soon! (This blog lives on the edge, we all know you're here for the thrills.)

Anyway, I'm off to bed. Even though my apartment is covered in fabric scraps and flour. Happy work week! (You can do it. I promise.)

Pop Tart Playlist:
    Sugarland, Love on the Inside
    A Fine Frenzy, Bomb in a Birdcage

Sewing Playlist:
   Susie Suh
   Fiona Apple, Tidal

No comments:

Post a Comment