Monday, July 5, 2010

Some Tastes of Home

It's probably not everyday some gets a craving for corn cob jelly. Well, first you'd have to have heard of it, which may the rarity in itself. I spent some years as a teen working in a bakery that is the retail bakery of the line of Amana bakeries most of my family has worked for. Summers were filled with Dutch Crunch Bread slathered with Corn Cob Jelly. Amazingness. I was a little weirded out at first, I shall admit that. But I would venture to say you haven't lived until you've had this combo. Simple in it's deliciousness. Eclectic in it's existence. So I'm sure you can see why it's close to this heart (and stomach!).

So I was actually looking for a recipe for some potato rolls like the bakery used to make after my parents were raving about how good they were and lamenting that they are no longer made. But I'm sure we shall discuss these further later. I have today off work and after scouring the internet, putting in a call to my Auntie Renee who used to manage the retail bakery that sells the bread to get some advice on some discrepencies I saw between different recipes (I wanted it to be as close to THAT BREAD as possible) I headed off in search of some canning jars and white rice flour.

The results. They rocked. Well, okay. The bread is cooling right now so I haven't actually tasted it, but it looks just like I remember, so I'm pretty confident.

Let's start with the jelly...





Corn Cob Jelly

12 sweet corn cobs

8 cups water (the original recipe calls for only 4 cups, but this left me with only 1 cup of liquid in the end)
4 cups sugar
1 box fruit pectin

Bring water with cobs, to a boil, boil for l0 minutes. Measure 3 cups liquid and strain through a cheesecloth.

Put strained fluid into a large saucepan, add pectin. Bring to rolling boil. Add sugar, bring mixture back to a boil. Simmer for 3 minutes, then skim. Add food coloring, if desired. (My pics do not have food coloring added.)

Pour into scalded jars and seal. Jelly will be clear and taste like apple-honey.


Now, for the bread.







Dutch Crunch Bread


Bread


2 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast

1/4 cup warm water 

1 cup warm milk

1 Tbsp. sugar

2 tsp. vegetable oil

1 1/2 tsp. salt

2.5 - 3.5 cups all purpose flour

Topping
(from The Bread Bible)

1 Tbsp. active dry yeast

1/2 cup warm water

1 Tbsp. sugar

1 Tbsp. vegetable oil

1/4 tsp. salt

3/4 cup white rice flour  (I found this in the health market section)



1. Place sugar and yeast along with the warm water, warm milk and oil in your bowl. Mix for 30 seconds and let sit a few minutes until dissolved.

2. Mix salt with 2 1/4 cups flour and to the bowl, mixing on medium until the dough comes together.

3. Switch to dough hook and slowly add the last 1 1/4 cup until bowl pulls away from the side of the bowl. I ended up adding a total of 2 3/4 cups.

4. Knead by hand until tacky and smooth or on medium with mixer. 

5. Place dough in an oiled container and let rise until it has doubled, approximately an hour.

6. Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface. Shape into 8 balls and place on lined baking sheet, and cover. Let sit for 15 minutes.

7. In the meantime, mix up topping. Dissolve yeast and sugar in water. Add in vegetable oil. Then rice flour. Whisk all ingredients together until you get a thick cake batter-like consistency. It should be smooth. Let sit for the rest of the 15 minutes, plus another 10 minutes.

8. Rolls should have risen a little bit by this point. With a brush, spread topping all over each of the rolls. This should be done in a thick layer. Brush a generous layer on each roll, using up all of the batter. This step is why you need parchment or a silpat on your baking sheet.

9. Let rolls rise for another 20 minutes until puffy. In the meantime, preheat oven to 350F.

10. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool.

The original recipe recommends you  let them cool before tearing into these little lumps of deliciousness because the topping tastes a bit weird until it's completely set and cooled. Now I'm just waiting for my moment of justification for the 3+ hours I spent in the kitchen this afternoon..

Servings: 8
Calories per little loaf: 312
Carbs per little loaf: 59g
(per nutrititiondata)

1 comment:

  1. corn cob jelly! That looks really interesting, I've never heard of it before!

    ReplyDelete